Category: Filming with a drone in Canada
As a Canadian drone pilot, you are required to follow these rules. These are a summary of the most commonly asked questions.
- Age: Drone pilots must be at least 14 years old (basic operations) or 16 years old (advanced operations).
- Altitude: Fly below 122 metres (400 feet)
- Maintain visual line of sight (VLOS), which means that you must see your drone at all times.
- Restricted Areas: Maintain a minimum distance from airports (5.6 kilometres /3 nautical miles) and heliports (1.9 kilometres / 1 nautical mile). This means that many towns are off-limits because of heliports at the local hospital.
- Avoid emergency operations (forest fires) and advertised events (sports, parades, concerts).
- Avoid bystanders with minimum horizontal distance. Basic options require 30 metres distance, advanced operation certificates allow less distance.